Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Boston--Part 2 (of 3)

I think we visited every single cemetery in the state of Massachusetts during our travels. Not really, but we saw a lot. And I loved them. LOVED THEM.

There is just something about walking amidst headstones looking at names and dates, and a few words that surmise a person's life.

I was fascinated that within feet of each other in one cemetery were the graves of some of the literary greats of yesteryear.
Could you have imagined living in the same community as some of these greats?


I loved this modern day Thoreau. He never stepped out of character. What an awesome guy! I almost got a fit of giggles while he was speaking, but fortunately I was able to think morbid thoughts and suppress my laughter. It wasn't that he was funny, it was just those "wrong emotion at the wrong time" moments.

My favorite new quote, I learned from this trip is from Thoreau, what a motto for life:

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

I can't exactly meander off to the woods to do this, but I need to live this way amidst the hustle and bustle of my everyday life.
(Thoreau's home and Laurie and Kristin at Walden Pond)
Visiting Plymouth Rock was one of my favorite places we visited. We were all disappointed that the Mayflower replica was gone being fixed. But we were able to see the Plymouth Rock. It was December when these pilgrims stepped onto the shores of Plymouth. Imagine the ice and cold that these poor pilgrims encountered. Next Thanksgiving, the re-told story of the pilgrims will hold a little more significance, I felt blessed to have visited such a site.

This monument was very impressive. The finger pointing heavenward of the lady, "Faith" alone is 2 feet tall. Each section had engraved in a word--it was touching to read those words and really think about the reasons those pilgrims sought for a better life.
(education, law, wisdom, peace, liberty, etc.)
The hilly cemetery in Plymouth was incredible. I loved seeing the grave of some of the pilgrims that came across on the Mayflower.
(We even found one that had descendants that became Utah pioneers.)
I think the graves that touched me the most though were some of the "ordinary" people. Such as these ones, three young children, their ages counted down to the years, months and days. (Only months for one of them.), and then in the grave next to them lay their mother.
Enough about death.
History anyone?

Laurie is big on really delving into the history of places, and each time we sat in a "movie" I imagined I would be bored. It never happened. In fact, one of them, about John and Abigail Adams, and their family was fascinating. Their relationship is a love story, and watching the movie and seeing the dynasty of their family was a great way to springboard into the tour of their old homes.
Oh, I wished I had a picture of the tour guide in one of them. He had the best Boston accent, and the best (worst?) hair. I'm not sure he's ever seen a comb, but anyway, back to our early country forefathers.

Adored Abigail and John Adams' final home. I loved learning small details about their day to day life, and absolutely loved the inside tour of this final home they lived and died in.

(Peacefield House)

My favorite in the home, was hearing the end of their (life) love story. We saw the bed that Abigail Adams died in. As she lay dying of Typhoid Fever, John said to her, "I wish I could climb in there and go with you." I got all choked up thinking about John and Abigail and the fact they will never be separated again. Not that they have been for a couple hundred years, but still.


Our visit to Quincy, MA actually makes me want to attempt to start again one of the books Laurie suggested I read before our trip. Who knows, I just may become cultured after all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails