Sunday, September 29, 2013

A First, A Last, and a Full Heart

Sometimes I go to bed with a smile on my face, a full heart, and a grateful attitude. That doesn't happen as often as I'd like, but Sunday night it did.

Our main church meeting on Sunday was presented by the Primary (age 3-11 year olds) children, and as one of the presidency members of the organization, I was very involved. A couple of months ago, I was asked if I would "write" the program. I say "write", but really I compiled it, rather than write it. With the exception of scriptures read from the Bible or the Book of Mormon,  and a few narrations from the Sharing Time book, all of the spoken words came from the children themselves. Each week a child gives a talk in Primary, and words were taken from those talks, or answers given to questions asked in class such as, "What do you love about your family?" or "What makes you unique and special?"

My heart felt full as I listened to these young children share their faith with innocence and purity. Although I was touched by each child's spoken word, when my own children spoke words from their heart, it was balm to my too often weighed-down soul.

Joshua's teacher introduced the subject of families, and Joshua was asked, "What do you love about your family?" His heartfelt, sincere answer was, "They help me when I am hurt." Of course, his pronunciation of the word "hurt" is said without the "r" sound, which endeared his line to me even more.

Drew was asked "What makes you unique and special?" and his understanding of his divine nature is based on his ability to [I] "Get dressed by myself."

Ellie had more depth to her part, as she shared an experience of losing something and saying two (?) prayers and then finding what she was searching for. Her brief little talk ended with, "I know Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers." I'm touched by her faith, and belief in something so profound, yet so simple.

Luke had a part in the narration, with 5 other children that will soon be turning 12 and leaving the Primary organization. He was less than thrilled with his "at least 50 parts I have to say!" (Hmmm-wonder where he gets his numerical exaggerations from.) All of the narrative parts were taken from Primary materials. I think one of my favorite parts of the program was at the end, when a song about Jesus ("If the Savior Stood Beside Me") was played softly in the background, and the 6 narrators shared a simple line spoken from their hearts--sharing something they know. With a straight face, void of any smile or emotion, Luke stated, "I know Jesus loves me and knows me." I love that though his faith is in its beginning stages, he has the belief that not only does Jesus love him, but he knows him too.

Megan plays the organ for our church congregation every other week, and it just so happened this week was her turn to play. The closing song was, "I am a Child of God", and the congregation was invited to join in singing for the 3rd and 4th verse, which Megan accompanied on the organ.

Mike serves as a Primary teacher, and he too was involved in the program. So if you're counting, that makes all seven of us, in our own way have a part in today's Primary Program. It was a first, and probably a last. The seven of us can sharing our faith, testimonies, and talents in unique ways, in one meeting will likely never happen again.

Sunday night Drew fell asleep in our bed laying next to Mike. The other children were on the other side of our bedroom door a little too wound up from the evening. My patience was wearing thin, despite my determination to keep the good feelings of the day forefront in my heart and mind. Mike was getting ready to carry Drew to his room, and I quickly chose to lean over and kiss him goodnight. I smiled as I rubbed his little head, kissed his cheek and whispered to him, "You are special, you can get yourself dressed. Don't ever forget it."

I wish I could bottle up days like today to share with my children and myself on the days when things don't feel quite as pleasant, or quite as full. Instead, I have written my thoughts to remember on those days that will inevitably come...

"We write to experience life twice."
~Anais Nin

,

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails