In May, 1982 I was 7 years old.
Seven.
I was very young.
My Grandad, (my dad's dad) was 68.
Now I realize, that too is young.
On May 31, 1982 my Grandad passed away. I recall very little about his death. I remember sitting on my couch in my front room looking straight ahead, while I was being told he had died.
I do remember standing at an intimate gathering at the graveside. My dad was offering a prayer, in which he was dedicating my Grandad's grave to be his final resting place.
Prayers were a common occurrence in my life. My family prayed frequently, and I knew the rules... one was supposed to close their eyes during prayers.
As I closed my eyes while my dad was praying, tears silently seeped out. I guess I didn't realize crying was normal at the death of a grandparent, and so, in a brave effort to not let anybody see me cry. I kept my eyes open for the duration of the prayer.
Though I only knew my Grandad for seven short years. I think of him frequently. I have shed plenty of tears at the tender memories I have with him, and I have shed tears at the memories never created.
I think of Grandad at every funeral I attend.
Because whenever I am at a funeral, I do not close my eyes during the prayers.
That was very tender. I'm enjoying your Monday memories. I really enjoyed my moms comment on your memory of the Queen. LOL!!!
ReplyDeleteHow sweet!! I have been lucky enough to have my grandparents around for up until the last few years...and I have amazing memories of them all. So sad to have lost him at such a young age for you and for him. I think about Rob all the time...my sweet Robbie talks about him really often and I tell him because they had so much time in heaven together to play and know eachother. They are so important in life!! He had to have been a very great man to have left such an impact on you! Loves!!
ReplyDeleteEven the simplest of memories make an impact on who we are.
ReplyDeleteThis made me think of my own grandparents' passings. I, too, was young and greatly miss them. I cry for the missed memories that my girls won't have with my Dad.
ReplyDeleteI don't remember knowing he died on May 31st. I wish I had known him, he had to have been as great as Granny.
ReplyDeleteThis make me choke up and you know why. . . .Kassi was 8!
ReplyDelete