Thursday, May 13, 2010

Age or Comfort

I have had a secret wish for quite some time now.  I mentioned it in passing to my BFF a year or so ago and she about laughed her head off.  She thought I was joking.  I was not.  I have never brought it up again since.  Until now...

If you remember, I already surmised here  that I am not exactly the most fashionable girl on the planet.  Feeding and clothing five kids takes a fair amount of our income,  not to mention the logistics of wearing clothes that led me to such dismay after watching a television segment that prompted this post.  Dry clean only, needing-regular ironing and expensive clothes are not high on my priority list right now

As everyone is already well aware, I also am not a huge fan of jeans.  BUT, you will be proud to note,  I limit myself to wearing sweats only once a week.  In the evenings, I frequently change into my pajamas early, as they are far more comfortable than most clothes (barring sweats)... 

The other night, I visited my grandma.   Yes. Granted she is almost 77 years old, and was just a few days post-major surgery.  But as she sat  in her bed, kindly taking turns talking to each of my children, I could not take my eyes off of what she was wearing...

 A housedress.  Not only was it one of my favorite colors, it had cute polka dots and it looked very, very comfortable.  My mind suddenly imagined warm summertime evenings when I am tired of wearing my jean capris/shorts, etc.

Except...my daydream took me back to when I mentioned it in passing to my BFF... and she about laughed her head off.  And even when I added  I wouldn't want one until my 50th birthday, she was still not nice very supportive of the idea.

Now friends, look at this photo.  Every 'house dress' Google link I followed, showed women certainly younger than fifty wearing them...

So I need some advice, other than my BFF's.
Are they really only intended for 'older women'?
And would you laugh if you saw me in one?


(Told you I should have been born in a different time period, no one would have given it a second thought if I was a housewife wearing one in the 1950's!)

17 comments:

Cindy said...

You never cease to amaze me! I'm with Melanie on this one.

vMy grandma who's in her early 80s owns a few of these and if you wake up early enough when you're in her home you can catch her in her housedress and curlers which totally embarrasses her. My dad bought one for a mom a few years ago for Mother's Day and she thought it made her look old so she exchanged it for a robe.

In response to your questions, they are definitely for older women but you can wear whatever you want around your house.

adrienne said...

To be honest, house dresses make me think of my Dad's wife. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Cindy said...

p.s. they do look VERY comfy!

4 Peanuts and a Cashew said...

Tiffany, I beg of you not to succumb to the house dress. I have very low standards of dress for myself but even I could not wear one of those. So yes, if I saw you in one of these, I would have a hard time not laughing. Sorry.

Meredith said...

I am with everyone else and I think of an old lady when I see a house coat. Personally I would not wear one. But on the other hand, if it would make YOU happy and comfortable after a LONG day with 5kids, then who cares what anyone else thinks? Go ahead and wear one!!

Danelle and Alex said...

I think the reason everyone in the pictures is younger is because they are trying to make it look that way hahaha! That being said, I say wear whatever you want!! Who cares who laughs! I expect to see you in a darling house dress when I come over tomorrow! :)

Anonymous said...

From Kim:
YES, YES, YES, YES, I would laugh at you, but I’d love you still the same! Stick to your cute sweats!

Melanie said...

You have brought it up several times and it was not a house dress you wanted, although that is almost worse. You want a Muu-Muu. I don't know how to spell it, but you want a big giant one. Don't you worry, you will be getting one.

Jenn said...

Tiffany,

You make me laugh so hard. Out loud at some of your posts!! House dresses might be out of the question for me, (and for sure my husband). I love that you love them. I love that you will admit it!! Keep on writing, you put a smile on my face.

JACK's house said...

Everyone has a style all their own. Would I laugh?....maybe. But honestly it doesn't mean that I wouldn't love you any less :)

Lesley said...

My mom has been wearing those for years (although I haven't seen her wear one for a long time). I think I may have had one or two of those in the past when I was about the age of the model in the picture... but I used them as a robe. The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was this... when my mom was about your age she had major surgery. Shortly after her surgery our whole family (6 kids piled into the station wagon and drove to Dick's Market. I don't remember why my dad didn't go in, or one of us kids, but my Dad (being very considerate) drove the car all the way up to the door until the tire rolled over the automatic door opener and the door to Dick's Market opened and my mom (recently surgerized) got out and went into the store... wearing her HOUSE DRESS!!! I was probably 14 and MORTIFIED!! Although I can never tell this story without laughing so hard no one can understand what I'm saying, it wasn't funny back then. I'm laughing even as I write it. Tiffany, don't buy a house dress... stick to sweats or cozy pants. And if you choose a house dress, please put on the dreaded jeans before going to Dick's :-)

morrison family said...

Tiffany, I am with the most of you other friends on this one. And yes if I saw you wearing one...I would laugh my head off! Just being honest! I do love you though!

Mom said...

I'll buy you one!

Scarlet said...

I can't wait to see you in it...I will be on the ground laughing profusely, but I still can't wait to see you in it. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Jana said...

Holy crap!! Yes yes!! To answer both. Lol...

Paula said...

Hi Tiffany!
I just saw this post and had to laugh. I actually used a house dress for pajamas on my mission in Colombia. I got my call in August and left in November. That time of year there are only winter clothes in the stores and with a tropical climate I didn't need flannel pj's! I used the $10 my 85 year old aunt gave me and bought a house dress--red and white with flowers all over! Yes, I felt like an old lady but it was perfect for the 90 degree, 95% humidity of Colombia and it dried quickly on the clothesline after being washed on the cement with cold water--unless of course it rained!

Bea said...

Why the contoversy? house dresses were our sweats:o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails