Why does Cupid visit some homes and not others? Why do some kids get pajamas from a pajama fairy and others don't?
I'll tell you, like I tell my kids.
Moms and Dads sign up for different things. Most moms and dads sign up for the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. We sign up for each of those plus the Pajama Fairy (for those of you unfamiliar with her services, she delivers new pajamas by children's bedroom doors for them to wake up and find on Christmas EVE.
(2008 California Vacation Fairy Visit...)
Over the years we have taken a lot of vacations with (my parents) Nana and Grandpa. Sometime during those vacations, the 'Vacation Fairy' visited during the night, and each morning the children would wake up to a small surprise.
We are soon to leave for a few days, to a place that we previously have been with my parents.
Just now I overheard Ellie ask Megan, "Remember we get stuff from the Vacation Fairy when we go there?"
And Megan, wise in her eleven and a half years in essence replied,
"I think Nana signed up for the Vacation Fairy. So this time the Vacation Fairy won't be coming."
To which Ellie replied, "Well Nana must know lots of Vacation Fairies" as she recalled trips to California...Bear Lake...Park City...
And I sat with a smile on my face quietly listening, albeit, a slightly guilty smile thinking of potentially disappointed children.
But I reminded myself of what I tell them,
'It would be very difficult for parents to sign up for everything.'
What have you signed up for?

I plan on signing up for the basic parent package (Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy). My kids share the same amazing Nana so I am sure that they will also benefit from Nana's Vacation Fairy package at times.
ReplyDeleteSince I'm not Irish nor Catholic leprecauns & Cupid will not be visiting my home. But my children's heritage will be in the home somehow so maybe I will sign up for a childlike effigy to make an appearance on Guy Fawkes day :).
Santa Claus (and his elves), Easter Bunny and Tooth fairy.
ReplyDeleteSanta Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth fairy and the pj's fairy. We sometimes have the sweet valentine fairy come to visit but only when the kids remind me that she is coming.
ReplyDeleteSince my "contract" with various organizations is almost up, due to the fact that my baby will be 18 on her next birthday (which happens to be St. Patricks Day) I will at least share what organizations I did sign up for. Of course Santa Claus and the Tooth Faity. I did not sign up for the Easter Bunny, but... my children always had new clothes, baskets, chocolate etc. on Easter. Whether or not they "believed" (in a large bunny) was up to them, I didn't encourage it, but, I also had to consider what my husband wanted our children "contracted" to believe in as well. Although I was born in Ireland, I've never made a big tada over St. Patricks day like many Americans do. But, Caitlin loves it so I made a better effort this year. For many years I treated my children to an ice-cream cake with all of their names written in icing on it for Valentine's Day. Caitlin has always received flowers, or some treat from Mike on Valentine's Day, a cute Father/Daughter tradition that she enjoys. We've never had pajama fairies, but we have a FABULOUS Christmas party where Santa comes and everyone gets a gift :-)
ReplyDeleteSorry, we don't contract with a tooth faity but a tooth fairy. Spell check :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm with Cindy on this. The 'basic' contract is all I signed up for.
ReplyDeleteTell Ellie that I have spoken to my Park City fairy and she is on vacation but to watch as she might be back on Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteWe signed up for Santa and the Easter Bunny...and sadly only patially for the tooth fairy. I forget too much.
ReplyDelete