Monday, January 3, 2011

The Bee in Mike's Bonnet


I have to give a brief background...

Mike comes from a very musically talented family.  His entire youth was spent actively involved in musical performances, practicing, etc.  Mike's family are all still very actively involved in music as adults.  But Mike, not so much.

Sure he sings in the ward choir, faithfully attending every weekly practice WITH Megan for almost four years straight now.
He has a very acute ear and will holler from another room which note a practicing child should have played.  He also patiently lays on the music room floor to monitor a practicing child.

And though Mike is a talented musician, in my (humble) opinion, he doesn't/hasn't let his talent shine in adulthood as he should.

BUT, he does strongly encourage music from his children.
'If you want horse riding lessons, you gotta play the piano...'
'If you want to go play with friends, get your practicing done first...'
'If you want food to eat, clothes to wear, and a shelter overhead, keep up on your musical studies.'

You get my point...

Well, for sometime now, Mike has been concerned about three children needing to practice the piano daily,  and one child needing to additionally practice the harp each day, all in the same room.  Oh and of course there are only so many hours in a day.  For months, Mike has suggested the idea of a second piano.

I have politely ignored him for several reasons...

Number 1 being, I LOVE my baby grand piano that I purchased with money received when my dear Granny passed away and I don't want it being neglected.
Number 2, There are lots of other things I'd like that fall into the price range of a second piano.
Number 3, Where am I going to put a second piano, I have been content with my family room as it is...

And then I guess I ran out of good, valid reasons to ignore Mike any longer.  And so with a slight nod of my head indicating approval, and with lots of research behind him, Mike took Luke and Megan on a trip to Summerhayes Music Store recently.  Mike allowed the children to pick out the particular piano.

It is a digital piano with all the bells and whistles.   USB connections, built-in Alfred Piano Book Lessons, recording capabilities, split keyboards, you name it.

But it isn't the fanciness of this silly digital piano that has Mike and I laughing and smiling.  It is the six months worth of practicing that our children (mainly Luke) have done in a four-five day period.  Though the novelty will surely not last in it's entirety, we both our thrilled our children have interests and talents in music.

The music has not stopped...  

It didn't matter if the bench wasn't even put together yet...
Doesn't matter if it is one kid helping another...
 Or one kid TRYING to play alone...

Doesn't matter if it is two kids playing a duet...


Or if you're told you have to wear headphones so Mom doesn't have to hear any more...
Doesn't even matter if you are wearing pants...


The chaos of five children arguing over a piano, WHEN THERE IS ANOTHER ONE SITTING IDLY IN THE FRONT ROOM is filling our home.
But then again, so is music.
And Mike (and I) wouldn't trade it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails