Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Playing House

Remember my thoughts about children playing 'house' here in this post? 
In case you're not one to follow links, I'll remind you of a few of my words...

Many years ago, I was babysitting a four year old girl, whose parents were going through a divorce/break-up (actually I'm not sure if they were even married now that I think about it).
The little girl, with baby dolls and strollers, was playing house.  As she played, I could hear her say things in a mad voice such as, "I don't want to have her tonight. It's your turn." or  "I have things to do, I'm not watching her."
Of course I was shocked.  But I realized, that our children 'play house,' very similarly to their real life 'house.'

Well now, I eat my words after hearing Ellie and Joshua playing house today...

Ellie "Say 'Our mom is in jail'?"
Joshua: "Yeah because our mom was at a baseball game and she threw a baseball at someone and then she went to jail."

FYI in my defense:
1. It's been a few years since I was even at a baseball game!
2. Have you ever seen me aim and throw?

FYI for my children's play:
1. Mom has been known to throw the occasional paper/toy/item in a not so nice manner when it is not in its proper place.
2. We have very vivid imaginations and we are very good at PRETENDING.

There you have it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails