Monday, March 21, 2011

And Then There is. . .

my baby Dewie.

Because of Drew, I have a whole new love and appreciation for youngest children. You know when people say things like, "Oh, they're the baby of the family, they get everything we didn't. . ." etc. etc.   I've actually never begrudged my baby brother. Sure he may get 'perks' that the rest of us never did/do, but at the same time, I think the last ones miss out on plenty of 'family' things that somehow the perks have to compensate for.  I think of my poor youngest brother James, having had to wake up on Christmas morning to just my parents, or Family Home Evenings/dinner-times, etc. when it was just him and my parents. It's all trade-offs in my opinion.

But, I digress.
Back to Drew.
My baby.

I love that Drew walks around in my bathroom while I get ready each day, with the mirror suctioned to his face trying to do what, I don't know.

I love that Drew snuggles up on my shoulder and squeezes his hands under his tummy.

I love that when Drew puckers up to give a kiss he squeezes his cheeks in so far, it looks painful.

I love that he loves music.  I love that though he can hardly say any words, he can very clearly in his own style sing many songs.  I love that he insists on sitting on my lap anytime I play the piano, or that his fussiness pauses while there is music being sung or performed during church meetings.

I love that today for the first time with any of my children, I sat for about fifteen minutes or so in his church nursery class.  The teacher was talking about families, and the little boy  next to Drew (two weeks YOUNGER than Drew) was saying, "Mommy, Daddy, 'pencer" (his big brothers name).  It was quite endearing to watch this other little boy speak.  As I turned to Drew, he just sat there staring at the teacher and her picture with his head tilted in typical Drew fashion.  He didn't say a word.  If Drew had been my first, second or even third child, I may have made unnecessary comparisons.  Today, I didn't. I just smiled. I love Drew, just the way he is.  He'll figure out talking one of these days...
(Drew's trademark 'crooked face')

I love that Drew has turned into somewhat of a Mama's boy.  All my kids have been 'Daddy's kids', and even with Mike home so much lately, there is no question that Drew favors me.

Being the third boy, we have LOTS of random trailer, truck and tractor toys around our house.  Drew loves, LOVES putting any kind of trailer with any kind of vehicle and insisting someone help him put them together.  Most often, they are not a match and he is told to go find something different to hook to.

I'm considering making Drew's birthday cake later this month, as a truck and trailer.
Two!
My baby is almost two.

And, whether Drew is two or twenty two, I am beginning to realize, he'll always be my baby.

LUCKY ME!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails