Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Life is Short

Many people did daily thankful posts on their blogs throughout November. Doing so myself never appealed to me. Not that I'm not thankful and grateful though--I most certainly am!

Just now I read a post from my friend who asked her readers to share favorite Christmas memories, songs, traditions, etc. And it just happened to take my fancy! I think it may just be an answer to my prayer--just last night! I really want a way to focus more on what Christmas means besides running from store to store, or from task to task. I want to soak up the month of December. By 7pm Christmas Day, Christmas is over for me. Done. Finished. I don't want to hear anymore Christmas songs, and I usually start early the next day taking down my tree. And it seems every year, without fail I ask myself, "Did I make the most of December?" I love the days leading up to December, more than Christmas Day itself.

And even though I've always been pretty good to record our day-to-day December highlights in a separate Christmas notebook, and I've certainly blogged about plenty in the past few years, there are still so many Christmas memories and thoughts that fly in and out of my brain that never get permanently recorded.

And so I'm taking my friend's challenge, of course they will be intermixed with all the regular day-to-day posts of our family that my blog's main purpose is. But I'm going to try my best to record some of the little memories of Christmas and December, both past and present that would be so easy to forget.

I'll start today with this:

On December 1st, my kids wake up to find a new pair of Christmas socks under the Christmas tree. This year was no exception. But with the hurricane force winds blowing right outside our window, and the back and forth speculations of whether or not school would be in session, the socks weren't exactly the highlight of the morning. Getting a picture of everyone wearing the socks ranked even lower on the totem pole.

But what WAS a BIG DEAL, was the box of candy canes I had purchased the night before that were still sitting on the kitchen counter. (I think this is only the 3rd or 4th box of candy canes I've ever bought in my life, and so my kids were pretty thrilled to see them sitting out in plain sight.)

As I mentioned, hurricane force winds were blowing outside the window sounding as though any minute our house and us could be blown to smithereens. I guess in that moment I realized that so many of the things I worry about, really don't matter too much at all.

And so---
When Joshua asked, "Can we have candy canes for breakfast?"

I said, "Sure. Why not?"
While the winds raged outside our home, our kids sat at the kitchen counter tickled as can be, eating candy canes for breakfast!

"Enjoy the little things in life, one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails