Sunday, January 8, 2012

Perfect Timing to Sing or Write?

I don't have any control over the timing of my articles that are published in the Deseret News and the timing of them has never mattered to me before. However, today's timing of an article couldn't have been more perfect. Not just for me, but for my entire family. (Well everyone except for Mike!) Here's why:

As I mentioned more than once last year we had ward (our local church congregation) choir practice at our house every Sunday morning during 2011. It was not anyone's favorite thing--but Mike had faithfully volunteered our home and he deserves more credit than any of us for cleaning and readying the house each week for the choir members.

I was very excited to see the end of the year arrive and the end of choir at our house.

My excitement was premature.

Due to a "You might have to be a Mormon to understand" thing, our church times changed January 1st to rotate through two other times with two other church congregations we share our building with. Typically we have only rotated from 9am to 1pm in the past, but the Single Adult Ward has now joined in our rotation and the 11am time slot has been opened up to the "family wards." To make a long story short, that means when our church time is over at 12pm there are NO AVAILABLE CLASSROOMS in the church building for choir to be held.

And my dear husband, who is nary the one to be at a pulpit preaching, but always one to be quietly serving, offered a solution to the choir scheduling dilemma.

To say my children and I were less than enthused would be a HUGE understatement.
I mean, here's our side--
Getting seven people, five of them children, dressed, fed and out of the door each Sunday morning at 8:45am  is a challenge in itself. (Well two leave at 8:30am, but that is a WHOLE 'nother story!) Add to it that we would have to have a CLEAN house when we leave makes it even more of a challenge. Add to it that upon arriving home from church, my children are in a mad scramble for snacks, throwing off ties and shoes, dropping scripture bags and discarding miscellaneous papers and artwork along their path doesn't make it the tidiest, cleanest place for 15-25+ people to come sing.

When I heard the announcement this morning in our first meeting that "Choir practice will be held at the Sowby home at 12:15pm" I inwardly sighed. Actually, I may have sighed quite audibly too as I thought about my home I had minutes ago left.

I left the house at 8:45am with a two year old who had just recovered from a temper tantrum and in the process dumped a box of cereal on the floor. In addition I left a tipped over diaper basket, and I think our family room carpet had every toy we owned laying on it.

Ahhh--but as the choir members slowly began to arrive at the appointed time, I received notification through an email on my phone that an article of mine had been published today. Which one?

This one:
"Serving isn't always easy." (click the title to read)

And there is NO ONE that needed to be reminded of that principle more today than me and my children.
Bet you can't guess what we will be reading during our family time today.

As Mike said to the choir director today when being thanked for offering our home, "This is an easy way to get blessings."

I'm counting on them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails