Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Uniqueness and Rudeness

I'd let the pictures tell the story, but
a. I'm not really a very good photographer and
b. I'm really not good at not saying anything.

But I promise to only say a little about...

The Cub Scout Pinewood Derby

I love Luke's individuality. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Luke doesn't care a WHIT about whether or not he has a fast car. He wants something he loves. He wants something that depicts him. And so yes, for his third (and final!) Pinewood Derby "car" he made a truck. This time with a trailer no less. (The (toy) livestock in the back of the truck made it BARELY too heavy to race, so they stayed with me in the spectator section.)

You know, it's kind of funny. I had so much more I was going to say but have changed my mind because of this:

Mike went to the rec center tonight to do some lap swimming. He just barely returned and said to me,
 "I saw Bryan (my BFF's husband) as I came out of the locker room and before I think he even said 'hi' he said, "nice outfit." 
This grabbed my attention and as I looked up at my dear, handsome husband I saw he was wearing his swimsuit, a coat and cowboy boots.

And with that mental picture in your mind, you can better understand what a great quality my son has developed from his father. They don't care what other people think of them.

Who cares if some other Cub Scouts can't abide by the simple adage "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."? I love Luke's individuality. I love that Luke is probably the least competitive person I have ever known (also inherited from Mike) even though the rude comments over and over from a couple of kids about his truck being slow and never winning any of the rounds put a slight damper on his evening. The confidence of individuality is well worth it.

(Luke's trailer carrying his Pinewood Derby "car" from two years ago that Drew claimed as his own.)

Glad we are finished with Pinewood Derbys for four years or so!
Wish I could say the same about all Boy Scout meetings.

Enough said.
Don't get me started.
The end.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails