Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Detergent Perplexity


Of course, it has been mentioned many times that I love laundry.
Years ago I used to use generic laundry detergent.
Also years ago, I switched only to liquid detergent.
After that I switched to a mid-range detergent. I couldn't quite bring myself to use the oh so expensive Tide.

Recently I went back to a powder detergent. All our clothes have a funny feel to them and the darks have, not faded, but got a weird look to them.

Last night my husband was at the store, (I know, that is a shock in itself.) I had asked him to buy Tide detergent.
The phone call went something like this,
"It is twenty dollars."
"I know, but I think it is time to switch to an expensive one before all the clothes look like yours and Joshua's shirts the other day."
"Oh well, it will do 96 loads."

I didn't tell him that the $10 one also says it does 96 loads.

Laundry detergent. I am in a little quandary about it.
Is the expensive Tide the only way to go?
And what is up with powder detergent?

11 comments:

  1. My best friend makes her own laundry detergent and it seems to do a great job. Next time she makes some I'm going to as well. So I'll let you know how it works on our clothes. Which we use Gain right now. My husband is a mechanic and my baby is always messy. But I also use Oxyclean with my really tough loads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny!I swear by liquid Tide!!! You will LOVE it. It is all I have used for yesar! I have tried everything out there. It is coastly but well worth it! I HATE powder detergent....leaves you clothes looking kind off foggy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On to the Tide! I am a very cheap person. I only buy Tide and actually only buy the liquid. I have purchased all the cheaper brands. My husband even likes to go to the soap sales at Huish Chemicals. he hates that I only use Tide...there is a big difference. By the way, I used to love laundry also....too many babies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used everything under the sun, liquid and powder. Before I had my front loading washer I always used Purex. Tough stuff and worked great. It's not HE (high efficiency), so I can't use it in my new washer. I use liquid Gain because it smells good, is cheaper than Tide and does as good a job. And 96 loads? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly enjoy reading everyone's comments and their love of Tide detergent. As you know I have been toying with the idea of switching and I think I may have to break down and spend the big money on detergent. I have been come very nervous about the state of our clothing and your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liquid Tide...of course is my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Years ago a neighbor called me up to ask a laundry question, she told me that she had heard that I was the "laundry Queen!" Wow!! I'd arrived. It is Tide all the way for me; even times when Mike brings home free laundry detergent I still buy Tide, and I've been using the liquid for several years now. I think the reason most of us don't get "96" loads is because we use to much. We only need to go to the first line for a regular load. I'm always reminding Caitlin to not use to much when I know I'm the one that does. So take it from "The Queen", Tide 100%
    This ad has been brought to you by....just kidding :-)

    PS what happened to your Chinese post?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't really weigh into this topic since I don't use Tide. I'm surprised that so many people say it's the only detergent they'll use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a liquid Tide fan myself. You can save a little bit by watching the adds and ordering coupons off ebay... Most coupons are for $1.00 off. So just think... Every 21st bottle you purchase is free!! Is is really worth it? I don't know, but the fun of the saving game is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use Costco brand powder. I'm cheap. I guess if we spent money on nice clothes, I would probably care more if they faded.
    One negative I have found about powder is that it sometimes doesn't wash completely away from clothes. I don't dry a lot of my clothes and I sometimes have to brush bits of powder off my darks.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails