Monday, September 28, 2009

Guaranteed: Difficult.

My friend, recently decided that for 30 days she is 'going vegan.' She had lots of supportive, encouraging, comments on her blog, except for me. Being the hamburger-ice cream-cheese-steak-friend that I am, I told her I think I would rather die.

I love food, all types. (But really, that could be a whole 'nother post...)

Really though, I am supportive of her in her personal challenge. I mean, supportive that I let her pick the restaurant we ate at last week. Supportive that I didn't order a juicy hamburger or steak. And supportive that when the waiter mistakenly brought a volcanic-chocolate cake-dripping-with-more-chocolate dessert to our table, instead of "accidentally pretending" it was ours and basking in the non-vegan glory, I said in unison with her, "We didn't order that." I continued eating my non-vegan meal that was more subtle in it's non-veganism.

BUT, though I would rather die than try something as drastic as going vegan. When my friend announced on her blog she was doing this she issued the following challenge to her friends and readers:

"What about you? Is there anything you have been meaning to accomplish or change? Any goal that you have been putting off? Why don't you join me in my first 30 days. Think of something you have been trying to improve, or something you want to start. Let's try it together, working towards these goals, for 30 days. We can complain together, support each other, and congratulate ourselves when we reach our goals."

I told her I would think about it. I have. Even though it has taken me two weeks, and even though she is now two weeks into her worthy goal/challenge, I've picked mine.

Warning, it will be hard... Maybe harder than not eating meat or dairy...

I'm not going to raise my voice to my children or husband for thirty days. (I'd say not raise my voice to anyone, but unfortunately, I only raise my voice at them. Yes, I only raise it at the people I love the most...)
UH-OH-I've admitted it publicly.
I have a permanent record of it now.
I have to do it now.
I will.

I issue the same challenge to you that my friend did to me. What are you going to do? What challenge are you going to live with for thirty days?

And what will the reward be after thirty days? Perhaps when we reach our goals, we can all go out and celebrate together, and while my friend eats a non-vegan meal, I will yell!

11 comments:

  1. That sounds like a goal that would be really good for me to work at, since I also only yell at those I love the most. (Not Jeff, though, just my kids.) It is the main source of my mom guilt and maybe this would be a good way to get myself extra motivation to improve in that area of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to admit that lava cake looked MIGHTY tempting!
    Good luck with your challenge! That would be super tough for me since Charlie doesn't seem to hear me EVER.
    Does it count if you talk into a megaphone? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your my hero... :) I'll have to think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read Aimee's post I set a goal and I've been very successful at it for two weeks. I've been making sure I walk every day, I'm also trying to drink my daily water requirement. I'm doing better at the walking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I wish I could swear off sugar for 30 days. I just don't know if I can do it... But if I started today, I could be free by Halloween, and then I could pick out all the tootsie rolls from my daughter's Halloween bucket! Boo-yah!

    I think I'm like you. I have to think about this for a few days before I commit.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew......I thought you were going to say something about food and that was going to affect me as much as you! Very good choice about the yelling, not that you yell a lot, but you know always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit I took on her challenge and it didn't last long. Well, it was my birthday.
    I too am re-thinking my goal. A more realistic one for me. I will get back to you.
    Good luck. I think you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If my goal was to do something nice for someone every day does it count if I do two things in the same day as two days?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh....what a good idea to post about! Really! We all need some goal in life and I am lacking in them big time! I so am gonna sit on this and repost! So awesome!! Not the vegan thing though...thats a bit much for me! Haha...Good luck with yours!! Thats a hard one I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, I made the challenge to not drink any soda this month. It's killing me! It is 4:45 a.m., I'm at work, my eyelids feel like they are going to end up on my chin, and I am totally missing my caffeine rush I used to get from my Dr. Peppers.

    I like your blog posts. Reading about your cute family and the great sweat pants debate is helping me stay awake. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails