Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Land of the Free

(Megan, Tiffany, Mike and Luke-BoxHill, England August, 2003)

When I was 13 years old I moved from England to Utah.

I met people who demanded my whole life story and why I was now living in America.

I had people ask me REPEATEDLY to say a particular word.

I had people laugh at my ignorance of certain things in the US culture.

I have had people tell me they can tell I'm from England because of my yellow teeth!

I can't count the times I've heard that the British drive on the 'wrong side of the road.'

I've had people laugh and try to mock me because of the 'war England lost.'

I've had people make fun of the Queen and the Royal Family to me.

I've known people to ask me if regularly I drink tea and eat crumpets.

I've had people upon hearing I am from England try to do their own version of an English accent right then and there.

I, like many of you are blessed to live in America, be it we originated from England, Ireland, Japan, Australia, Canada or Mexico. Am I offended by the comments I have heard and continue to hear about my heritage?

No, I am simply reminded I live in a land of freedom.......
One of those freedoms being freedom of speech.

13 comments:

  1. You crack me up!

    I'm probably one of those idiots that say stupid stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! I can't believe some of those comments. (Of course, I say dumb stuff to people all the time, so who am I to talk?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I feel blessed that you are in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you came to America...hey, glad I came to America too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to that. Very nicely done. I am the most glad that you moved from England!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also glad you're here! I love the 'melting pot' of culture that is America. I love the different customs and quirks that we EACH bring to the table.
    Life would be extremely boring if we were all a bunch of stepford wives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own up...I accidentally hit the anonymous button.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite is the Lady Di bag. Love it! (and you)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheerio mate! :) That just crossed my mind when I read people try to imitate an English accent right in front of you! SO Funny!!! I am so glad you live by me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails