Sunday, February 7, 2010

Good Enough

The other day I read a post from my cousin's blog, and just as we all have sometimes, she was having "one of those days." I on the other hand, (thankfully) had not been feeling those same thoughts for a while, and was able to leave her an encouraging comment.

I'll quote a part of her post.

"I try not to compare myself to other women but at times it is so hard! I am not a perfect person, wife, mother or even friend."

I didn't really give her post a second thought until this morning...

Let me give you a little background...
Joshua will be three in April. He still wears diapers. Though he has a sticker chart on the fridge (to mark when he uses the big potty) and a promise of 'a new truck and a WHOLE bag of suckers' he has yet to fill up the chart.

Part of it is him, "I don't want wear unnerwear"

and

most of it is me...

I am honestly not ready to deal with it yet, And, I have mixed feelings about whether to do it when I want it to be done, or the child.
(Potty training Megan and Luke was hell. With Ellie, I waited until she wanted to; one morning just days after her third birthday, she took off her diaper, put on some underwear and has never had an accident since!)

So all that brings me back to-
'I didn't really give her post a second thought until this morning...'

As I sat in church I noticed the little boy sitting in front of me, and his little underwear sticking out of his pants. I immediately felt discouraged. He is five months younger than Joshua. I turned to Mike and said, "That boy is five months younger than Joshua and he wears underwear. I am a loser mom."

And it got me thinking...

WHY? WHY? WHY?
Why do we women do that? Why do we compare ourselves to others?

Maybe that mom has more patience than me. Perhaps her child is more obedient than mine. Perhaps this... Maybe that...
Like my cousin said, "I am not a perfect person, wife, mother or even friend."

She's right. None of us are PERFECT, BUT:

I'm a good person/wife/mother/friend.
The mom in front of me today is a good person/wife/mother/friend.
And my cousin is a good person/wife/mother/friend.

And one of these days, we women need to accept that good is good enough-we don't have to be perfect!



(I can recall a couple of previous posts in which I have written my
feelings regarding this very subject. Here and here.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails